Re: [T3] Windy day driving

--- Andy Askren <andyaskren@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Quick question: how does your car handle, say on the
> highway, on a gusty,
> windy day? My 70 Squareback is a little scary under
> these conditions.

When I first drove my fastback in the wind I was
absolutely shocked at how hard it was to keep staight.
I had to concentrate very hard and correct all the
time. Then I realised that the front tyres were about
10 psi overinflated, so I reduced the pressure to the
vw specification and this helped the problem a lot.
Then I got new ball joints and that helped a lot too.
A full petrol tank helps too. Now I don't notice it
much, but you always have to be a bit more careful
than you would in a modern car during high wind. I
think the T3 is the best of the aircooled vws in this
regard because when you see T2s they are all over the
place during wind.

>The
> steering seems nice and tight, no weird wiggles or
> shimmies that I can feel,

My steering was tight too.

=====
Andrew Davidson