RE: [T3] no headliner...

Hmmmmm....a diamond plate headliner.  I had not thought of that one.

However, I am planning on putting a non-fabric headliner in my Fasty (more
of my wild dreams, I know, but....).  Today's cars have a felt-like material
over a thermoformable backing.  They are not structural but are not just
stretched fabric either.  This way they can form in the recesses for the
sunvisors and interior lights and stuff.  The backing is a thermoplastic
(read as reformable) so one could take a junkyard, or should I say recycling
center, headliner from say a large van or the like and then reform the
material and trim it for a T3.

I might try this, but will likely just glue blocks of rigid foam to the
inside of the roof, carve and sand to the desired shape and then use a light
fiberglass reinforced composite to make a durable surface.  I would then
either glue felt-like material to the composite or finish it and paint it.
Not real sure of the finish I would be looking for yet.  Leaving the foam in
there will really quiet the car down too.

Check out my website (see below) for other crazy ideas and for some basics
on composites.  (Yeah, I know I need to finish Part 2, Vader)

Later,
John Jaranson
'71 FI Auto Fasty
http://members.aol.com/jaransonT3