Re: [T3] main bearings...

On 19 Dec 99, at 9:22, mark kaylor wrote:

> the reason i asked about the main bearings is that so many people told me
> "your engine is dead", "rebuild it now" etc.  it got me a little scared.
> i've been trying to believe otherwise, i really have, especially since the
> engine only has 70k or so on its last rebuild, it doesn't burn oil, and the
> compression is great.  and the fuel injection is in top form, i'm getting
> 22-23 mpg in the city!

While ANYTHING is possible, with all this stuff working so well it is
hard for me to get too worried about your main bearings.

> the problem is, my oil light flickers at idle when the car warms up, even
> under very cold conditions(it just takes a little while).

If your thermostatic cooling system is all installed and working
correctly, then the outside air temp should really not be a factor.

> i can tell that this is affecting the engine directly, as the idle is really
> weak, and sometimes after driving around for a long time with the light
> flickering the car will stall when i come to a stop.
> now really, this can't be normal.  if there are any suggestions at all for
> how to allieve this problem without dropping the engine and doing the
> bearings, then by all means let me know!!  i've stepped the idle up, all the
> points/valves/timing is set, don't know what to do anymore.....

I agree that this doesn't seem normal. It makes me wonder about your
aux air regulator and if that is working properly to keep your idle
up when cold. Did you know that you are supposed to adjust the idle
when the engine is warm so that the AAR is closed off? Do you know
how to checl that? You can close off its air passageway with a finger
to simulate full closure while you adjust the idle.

Read all the explanatory pages in the Bentley manual. Try to come to
an understanding of what each part of the FI system does. Once you
get a feel for these, you can better appreciate how they have to work
together and what kinds of things can go wrong, leading to what kinds
of symptoms.