Re: [T3] heating system

Speaking of CO...  So, last night I finally get the T34 put back together
enough (after painting) for her longest road trip yet, from Kouts to
Elkhart, IN--about 3 hours round trip.  She drove wonderfully, aside from
some fender rubbing from the lowering a PO did.  I was just going to leave
that alone & see how it went, but not anymore.  A few electrical quirks in
the instrument lighting, 6v headlights did fine & nobody rear-ended me.  I
haven't had time to troubleshoot the fog lamps, but I think the relay may be
bad.  Overall, an excellent maiden voyage.

Anyway, speaking of CO... I was pleasantly surprised with the heat she put
out.  I haven't yet installed the tubes that go just outboard of the valve
covers, & I don't know how much difference that will make.  A PO's rocker
repair left the footwell vents unusable, but they do pipe sufficient hot air
up to the defrost vents to clear the windshield, at least on the driver's
side.  Cabin heat was supplied by the Y boxes splitting between the defrost
only heat tubes & the back seat.  I took some heat hoses I had sitting
around & stuck them in the holes to route air toward the front & after about
an hour actually got quite toasty.  This is at about 25F degrees OAT.  Just
our toes were froze.  Anyway, speaking of CO...  We started to notice our
eyes were kind of stinging/burning.  Is that a symptom?  We didn't feel
sleepy or get headaches & didn't smell anything.  (I know, odorless gas, but
that's only with completely burned fuel, right?  You can usually smell
exhaust)  This beautiful car still has several significant drafts moving
through, so maybe that's why I'm alive to write this to you this morning.  I
stopped by Wally World on the way home to get one of those little CO
detector cards with the spot that changes color.  They didn't have them &
the auto parts stores weren't open.  I may have to order one from an
aircraft supply catalog as the piston airplane drivers up there have the
same heating (and engine cooling) considerations as German air-sucker
drivers.

At the price that (admittedly NOS) flamethrower went for on ebay, maybe I
could score an aircraft Janitrol heater for less.  Same principle--burn some
gas, scavenge some heat, pump it to the people.

Mike