Re: [T3] Cold Idle question (detailed & long)

On 16 Dec 99, at 14:01, HBakr@aol.com wrote:

> 1970, California stock 1600  MT, FI.
> So a week ago I got emotional and said I'm gonna make that engine look as
> good as it runs. Left it running and gave it a thorough spray with a can of
> Gunk and rinsed it with water. I then drove off to the store and all that, no
> problems.
> Next morning I get the news, it cant hold idle and runs reeeal rough.
> So far I have:
> -Rechecked/cleaned all elec. contacts.
> -Cleaned the points and trigger contacts.
> -Started identifying the components of the Cold Starting System and what I am
> so far finding out is that my engine doesn't look like what Bentley says a 70
> should look!
> For instance, the closest thing I have to an Electromagnetic Valve (Ref.
> Bentley sec. 4 page 14) is something that looks physically more like the 1972
> Pneumatic Mixture Control Valve shown on page 27 with a fuel line going from
> it to injectors 1&2 and NO electrical contacts to it whatsoever!

The CSV is only supposed to do something when the engine is VERY cold
WHILE it is being started. Once started it is supposed to turn off.
So I don't think this is any part of your problem. It sounds like
your CSV has been disconnected, probably because you live somewhere
it is never used anyway.

I would get a inductive timing light and check to make sure that you
have good spark going to EACH spark plug. If not, check the dist cap,
inside and out. You may just have to wipe something off. Also check
the nose of the coil.

If you do have good spark on each line to each plug, pull and inspect
EACH bakelite spark plug connector. You're looking for places where
the spark is finding an alternate path to ground.

Just guessing, but I suspect that this is an ignition problem.

-
Jim Adney, Associate Researcher
Plasma Physics Group, Department of Physics
University of Wisconsin