Re: [T3] window sealing...

On 15 Dec 99, at 11:42, Eric Helton wrote:

> I believe my windshield is leaking and I was wondering
> if anyone had any bad experiences with using
> clear silicone sealant as a stopgap measure until
> I get the time and know-how to pop out the windshield
> and put it in right?

The usual silicone caulking compounds have an acetic acid base which
makes them react poorly with metals. I'd recommend that you find an
auto glass shop that will sell you something made for this
application. You can lift up the outer lip of the rubber and squeeze
the compound under that. It can be done neatly and will last if done
carefully. A "new" seal may not do any better.

> The only other thing I can think of is that I have
> some rust in the rain channel (?) on the roof.  Is
> there any way that water could be getting into the
> car there and then travelling down the window frame
> where I can't see it and depositing water at the
> base of the windshield above the defrost vent on
> the passenger side?

If you see the water at the junction between the glass and the rubber
the answer is no, but if between the rubber and the vinyl interior,
then it is possibly yes.