RE: [T3] DeathRich Rides Again!

On 15 Dec 99, at 7:41, James MacNaughton wrote:

> On some years, there is a FI wire that goes to one of the spade
> connectors on the starter. If this gets accidentally put on the
> WRONG spade connector it will make the fuel pump run all the time
> and also make the engine run rich. The FI/starter wire should be
> on a terminal 	that is hot ONLY when the key is in the START
> position.

> ***I shall investigate this option.  It is hoped, that I will soon
> (this or next weekend) have access to a shop with a lift.  *Getting* her
> there, that will be another story altogether.

You really don't need a lift to look at this. Just crawl under with a
light. It is much nicer if the ground where you're working is dry.

Another thing to try now would be to just unplug the cold start valve
electrical connection just to make sure it is disabled. If this makes
a difference then the wire on the starter is for sure in the wrong
place. If this makes a difference, don't just leave it off. You MUST
correct the starter wire to achieve a complete fix.

> In my experience, cars with one set of trigger points not contacting
> simply do not run AT ALL.

> ***She wasn't (and isn't) *really* running.  Probably won't go over
> 1100rpm, and *will* idle, if poorly; but won't otherwise move.

I really mean NOT AT ALL. No start, no run, no idle.

> Does your car leak gas if you fill the tank all the way up? Does
> it smell of gas after left turns when the tank is near full? If
> so, you may have pumped a lot dirt in the gas tank through a
> cracked overflow hose and this dirt is getting in things and
> screwing them up. This is just a wild guess.

> ***Nah; I've had the tank out and boiled.  The connector tube isn't
> new, but it's amazingly well-preserved; and I've a fairly new fuel filter
> installed.

By connector tube do you meant he 3/4" rubber tube with the right
angle bend in the end? That's the one that will break and leak gas
out and water/dirt in.

> 	The fuel smell *really* comes from the thick, almost smoke-machine
> like clouds of smoke coming from the tail-pipe.  If left standing, she'll
> put a black soot-mark on the ground, directly under the down-spout.  I'm
> concerned, as I don't want to damage my new (less than 3000mi) P&C's.

I'm glad you understand the urgency of getting this fixed. Running
over rich will eat up your new cylinders and rings quickly since the
extra gas washes the oil off the cylinder walls.

PS Is there anything you can do to fix the mess your email program
makes of quoted text?