[T3] Help! Dash Installation is not easy!

Hello!
Does anyone have experience installing a replacement dash from cal imports? I
am having much difficulty, and don't know if there's a trick to it or
something. I have bolted in the passenger side handle, (according to the very
very brief instructions that is first), no problem. Then, you are supposed to
stretch the dash pad  over the gauges, and this is proving very difficult. Am
I missing something? Do I need to remove the gauges?
Any help would be very appreciated!
Thanks
Marianne