Re: [T3] Front Brake Watch-outs

When you say 70% worn, what are you talking about?  Pads?  Pads alone
are pretty easy to replace and I'd suggest doing just that if the
rotors aren't in really bad shape, deep grooves or pits and the like.
The hardest part is getting the pistons retracted back into the
calipers.  I've had some luck with a large C-clamp and just work the
pistons back.  If you get the piston cocked, you stand a chance of
marring the walls.  If your rotors are warped or badly grooved, you're
probably looking at replacements, there's really not enough material
there to do more than one job of turning on them and the machinist had
better be fairly light on his feeds.  Make sure you take the pads with
you when you get replacements, the later ones don't fit the early
models and the counter monkeys tend to get confused.

Really, this is a Sat. morning job and once you've got the parts, pad
replacement is pretty easy as long as you're not doing it in -20
weather.  Bentley has good pictures of how things go together, so
study that and you should be fine.

If you haven't done it recently(last year or so), you might think
about getting some new brake fluid and pumping all the old stuff out,
too.