Re: [T3] Several questions - Holy Pan!, wet floors, new carpet

On 9 Dec 99, at 18:55, Jeff Kitterman wrote:

> 1) The fresh air vents next to the windshield drains water directly into the
> interior of the car. The hose that looks like it should be piping the water
> from the fresh air fan is broke almost flush where it goes into the body.
> Does this simply drain to the outside? Can I just push it on through and put
> a new hose there?

It drains to the outside, but there is a bend just ahead, so you will
have to pull the broken piece back toward you. I have never needed to
do this, but I suspect that you can buy clear plastic tubing at the
hardware store that will work here.

> 2) What's the best thing to seal small and medium-sized holes in the pan
> with? Nothing for structural support, but want to keep it watertight as
> possible so new carpet doesn't get ruined. Some of these holes are too big
> for silicone, and I don't want to use something that will speed along the
> inevitable disintegration of the pans.

I soak the metal with LPS-3 (NOT the usual LPS-1!), then rub in
roofing tar, then cover with tar-impregnated fiberglass cloth.

> 3) Carpet- What to use to affix to the car? Anything that someone can
> recommend?

3M makes a lot of good anto adhesives and many of the carpet places
sell these. They are all good. My advice is not to get carried away
with it; the OEM carpet was NOT glued down. If you must glue, do it
in a few critical spots.

My 69 came with replacement carpet glued down within an inch of its
life. Whenever I have to work on anything under there this makes the
work a lot harder, and I frequently lose some carpet pile that sticks
tighter to the pan than to the mat that it's woven thru.