Re: [T3] M.T. Clutch

On 9 Dec 99, at 9:45, Fuhriman, Mark wrote:

> When I read the procedure on the crankshaft oil seal, I see reference to a
> sealant.  Any suggestions on type of sealant?  Think a clutch/main seal
> beginner like myself can get the job done over the weekend?  I have a garage
> and the tools (I think).  I'll go shopping today or tomorrow.  Thanks for
> the input so far!

You can use any kind of light sealer on the OD of the seal. This will
actually help it slip into place if you do it wet, but you can also
just oil the surface and push it in, if the surface is smooth. The
seal should be pushed in below the surface; there is a step there
that it should go against. You can install it with a board and a
hammer if you're careful. Just drive it in until it's flush then use
the OLD seal AND the board to drive it in the last 1/8". I have a
special tool that does a VERY nice job of this, but you can do the
job without it if you are careful.

In the end you want the seal fully seated so that you know that it's
square in the bore, and you want to make sure that you didn't bend it
on the way in.

Make sure that the sealing surface on the neck of the flywheel is
smooth. If there is ANY wear or burrs there, sand it smoooth with 400
then 600 grit wet/dry (the grey stuff) sandpaper, doing it wet with
oil.

IMPORTANT: Before installing the flywheel, wet its neck and the seal
lip with oil or grease to make sure that the seal lip doesn't burn
before it gets lubrication.