Re: [T3] heat exchanger

On 8 Dec 99, at 8:02, Ricardo Lugo wrote:

> I've been getting fuel odor  out of my heaters.  Does this mean my heaters are
> shot?  Or could it just be a leak somewhere?  I have noticed some oil on one
> of my heat exchangers, could this be the problem? I would like to make sure I
> don't need new heat exchangers before I go and spend the money.

There are 2 things you should check: gasoline leaks (just look near
and under the injectors on each side while the engine is running.)
and exhaust leaks (check to see if the seal between the two large
lower heat exchangers and the muffler is completely sealing.

The heat exchangers themselves seldom are the problem, but they
corrode away in the area of that seal and make sealing difficult. I
wrap heavy aluminum foil around that spot to build it up and then
slide the seals over the foil. With care this works.