Re: [T3] M.T. Clutch

On 7 Dec 99, at 14:57, Fuhriman, Mark wrote:

> I drive my car over lots of steep hills on windy roads.  I spend much of my
> time in 2nd gear, and I tend to down-shift a lot to help save the brakes.
> I'm afraid my commute has begun to take its toll on my clutch.  Today I
> noticed for the first time some slipping in higher gears (3rd and 4th)--as I
> give it gas, the revs go up without a corresponding increase in speed.  So
> I'm thinking I must need a new clutch.  Right??

The first thing you should check is that you still have some clutch
pedal free play. Read your manual. If there is no play, adjust it now
and you may just save your clutch. Postpone this and plan to pay out
~$100-150 in parts, plus whatever your mechanic charges. It could be
another $200.

Personally, I have never had a clutch that didn't outlast the engine,
and my engines never last less than 125K miles.

Jim