[T3] Cooling air control testing

SO, one of my big goals for the year was accomplished when I
installed the cooling air control parts in my Squareback yesterday!
One question. How do you test this? I was just going to put a piece
of duct tape on the shaft and see if it turned by the time I got to
work. Seem logical? Also what eaxctly does the spring that clips to
the right flap do? The thermostat operates the lever that pulls up
the shaft, but the spring is compressed when that happens, not
extended, so...what function does it serve? Keeping the flaps open
just an eensy bit when in the closed position?

Warm-up is SOOOO easy now. My only concern is that it seems pretty
warm in there when I open the engine compartment lid. Maybe it was
just never warm enough before this.
Slowly, ever so slowly, things are falling into place.
-Mike
72 Sqbk, 1600, dual Weber ICT 34s
Brooklyn