Re: [T3] Howdaya take them drums off ??

On 2 Dec 99, at 17:59, HBakr@aol.com wrote:

>  So, I figured
> take the break drums off and see if anything is loose in there. I do
> everything per Muir & Haynes and still that drum is totally fused with the
> hub/disc behind it. Hammering on the wheel studs and cursing didn't get me
> anywhere either.
> Is this common?? and, what do you do about it??

This is common. DON'T hammer on anything, that is just hard on
the bearings. Get a propane torch and heat the drum just outside of
the parting line where it meets the hub. Don't heat through the
holes, but it will take a bit of time. Eventually the drum will expand
and break free of the hub. You will HEAR this happen.

Of course you have to remove the 2 small bolts first.

Jim
-
Jim Adney     jadney@vwtype3.org
        Madison WI USA