Re: distributor drive installed wrong

In a message dated 12/1/99 11:12:36 AM, type3-d-request@vwtype3.org writes:

Charlie,
Yes, a car will run with its distributor drive installed 180 degrees off.  I
drove my '66 square from '95 to just a few months ago with the distributor
180 off, and I even drove from Arizona to Ohio (2000 miles) with it
incorrectly installed, and I never knew it.  My car seemed to run fine, but
even better now that the drive is corrected.  The way I found it out was
trying to tune it up this summer and I couldn't get it right.  The points
were fairly new and I had plenty of vacuum, but the distributor was turned
all the way and hitting the tin with the vacuum diaphram on the distributor,
it seemed it just needed to be turned a few more degrees in that direction to
run smoothly again... that's when I found out it was 180 off.
Hope that helps,
Yancy