Re: [T3] VW fuel injection testers

On 1 Dec 99, at 9:00, Erkson, Toby wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what the various FI testers are?  I have the 1281 Grundig
> (http://www.pelicanparts.com/support/vw1218_tester.htm) but I know there was
> another style out there.

That web site was interesting. I have never used the Grundig tester
and never saw the instructions for it before. Having seen them now, I
feel quite certain that the earlier Bosch tester is the better
choice. The reason I feel this way is that the switch positions are
labeled on the Bosch tester, so you don't need to refer to any
instructions to know what each position is testing.

There were 2 different Bosch testers:

The early one was the EFAW 193 which required an EFAW 243 adapter in
order to test the later cars (with extra throttle valve switch
contacts.) This one has 2 rotary switches L & R along the bottom of
the front panel. Even if you don't have the adapter, this one will
test 68-9 cars just fine, and all years okay except for the extra
throttle valve switch contacts

The late one was the EFAW 228 which tests all the D-Jetronix cars
without adaptors. It has 2 rotary switches top and bottom along the
right side of the front panel. I know that there were at least 2
versions of this tester, depending on what kind of front panel
switches were used. Both kinds look alike, but one has a tactile
"snap" and is better. Mine does not have the "snap" and these don't
always make good contact.

The EFAW 228 with the "snap" switches is the one to look for.

Jim