Re: [T3] Stationary point hold-down screw

On 27 Apr 99, at 15:39, oofacts@earthlink.net wrote:

> What size is the stationary point hold-down screw. Mine's starting to
> strip, its so old. While I'm at it, my point gap keeps closing on me. Not
> dirt, not deposits. I'm ABSOLUTELyA certain that I have thepin in its li'l
> hole now, but the roads here in NYC sometimes might as well be unpaved.
> Its a bumpy ride sometimes, and maybe this is moving the points with time.
> Maybe. I had the screw down pretty damn tight. Wasnt sure I'd be able to
> get it out for awhile there since it was stripping (not the threads, by
> the way, just the slot). Why else would these things keep closing in on
> me?

I think it is a 5mm screw. You will have to learn how much to tighten
it as there can be problems both from over or under-tightening.

Is this the dist you got from me? New points will sometimes break in
a bit as the rubbing block wears to match the cam.

If it is a different dist, then there are many possibilities. The
prime one is excess wear of the rubbing block. This is due to
abrasive dirt on the cam which wears both the block and the cam. Old
cams will have a badly worn groove where the block has worn in. This
groove will be rough and will hold dirt;³‚k.use excess wear of
the block.

Moral: Use clean cam grease here, and clean the cam every time you
replace the points.

Jim