[T3] horn relay?

So, all of a sudden my notch doesn't want to start this morning.

Batteries fine.

When I turn the key I get a click but that's it.

Rolled under the car. Put a screwdriver across from the battery terminal on
the starter to the switch terminal. Starter takes off without a hesitation,
(scared the crap out of me), the solenoid engages fine and the engines
tries to turn over.

Now what?

So I'm looking at the whole starter setup and I realize there is some other
gadget that has been added to the mix. From looking at Muir's book and his
description it sounds like the horn relay that he says to use if you aren't
getting enough juice from the ignition switch to the solenoid.

I began to wonder if this thing had gone bad so I bypassed it. I simply
took the wire from the ignition and connect it to the started instead of
the gadget. Car started right up.

Soooo... What is this device? Horn relay?

Why is it there? Do I need to replace it?

The car starts fine without it, no hesitation at all.

I'm sure glad I'm able to start it but a little confused by this
development.

Any light that can be shed would be appreciated.

Bill