Re: [T3] Long pause for FI

On 23 Apr 99, at 15:41, Luis A. Pieretti wrote:

>     I'm in looking at a T4 412 Station Wagon. It has been sitting for 5
> years after a tranny overhaul. The owner said that after the overhaul RPM's
> were way high when idle. He also said the car ran great at normal highway
> speeds, but at the stop lights the RPM's were driving him crazy. (He is an
> older man and the car RPM's were giving him massive headaches. The price is
> too ridiculous for me not to buy it. I was looking for a small truck  to
> haul my VW parts around but with this bargain I think my truck will be this
> 412. I already have a Notch and two T1's. With the Notch and one of the T1
> being slowly restored a need fon
Łytation wagon is a must (there is a
> limit I can carry on my Nissan 240sx). The questions are. How FI is affected
> by the engine not being started for say; 5 years? What might be the cause
> for the idle being so high.

The high idle is clearly an air leak, and I have little doubt that it
is due to a misconnected hose as a result of reinstalling the engine
wrong. This should only take a little research to figure out.

Your other question is the hard one; can you try to start it before
you buy? The condition if the FI and everything else is a big ??? If
the gas tank still has gas in it then that is a very good sign; if it
is dry then you probably have a lot of problems ahead of you.

What year is it? The last year, 74, used the L-Jetronic, which is
completely different from ours.

Jim