Re: Electronic Ignition

JC Whitney no longer sells CDI (Capacitance Discharge Ignition), of Bob
Hoover fame.  If you are interested, I have the
name/address/phone-number of the company that used to sÖRLßem to
JCWhitney.

BTW, as I recall, CDI is compatible with the $50 points replacement kits
sold by Pertronics and Compufire, according to Hoover.

I'm not much worried about points float, since I try not to get the revs
up too high anyway, for many reasons.  I would worry more about these
units failing.  I don't trust either one of those companies.  Remember
the Pertronics "Flamethrower" coil recall?  I have a friend who's
vacation was significantly disrupted by some unplanned Westfalia camping
on the side of I-70 in the middle of Missouri because of that
(pre-recall) failure. At least carry some real points with you in your
mobile tool kit.  A CDI I had on my '74 bus failed, and I just inverted
the plug to revert to standard ignition.  Tool all of a minute.  They
fixed it for me no questions asked.  I've never heard of anyone elses
failing, and they sounded surprised that mine had.

One nice thing about points is that they get your head in the engine
compartment on a regular basis, where you can see what's going on back
there.

Eric Forsman, '73 Square
Baltimore, MD
cc replies to forsman/harris@jhu.edu