Re: steriod freak/ tire store

On 16 Apr 99, at 8:18, Waynowhit@aol.com wrote:

> Before you put the wheels back on
> lightly coat the chamfered edge of the bolt(or nut) with anti-seize (not the
> threads) and torque to spec.

Several people have suggested greasing the chamfered edge, but I
don't think it's a good idea. I believe I have seen factory
recommendations to this effect, perhaps from Mercedes, but I can't
support that. The real point of lubrication is to prevent rust, and
the only place that rust is likely to cause you any significant
problem is in the threads.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to do is to TORQUE to SPEC, 92lb-ft, and
leave it at that. 92lb-ft is MUCH less than the "as hard as I can"
torque spec that most people use. If done to spec the wheels are easy
to remove at almost any later date.

Jim