Re: [T3] Steroid Freak at the Tire Store

On 14 Apr 99, at 7:57, Latherow, Robert wrote:

> Of course, I couldn't even BUDGE the nuts.  Not a bit.  Cursing crazy
> crack smoking tire guys, I drag the air compressor and the impact wrench
> out into the back yard.
>
> Still won't budge.

> Anyone have any clue what I can do?  I guess the pipe/breaker bar
> combo....

I have a 1/2" Craftsman breaker bar with a 19mm socket. Put that on
the bolt with the handle pointing horizontally to the left. Stand on
the end of the breaker bar while balancing yourself with your
fingertips on the top of the car. Bounce up and down on the very end
of the bar--one foot on the very end is the most effective.

NEVER point the bar to the right and try to pull up. I started my
back down the slippery slope this way, AND it's not as effective.

If all else fails, take it to a tire shop and offer them $5 just to
loosen them up and retighten (not too much!)

How many of you knew that there is a torque spec on those? It is 92lb-
ft, and that doesn't seem like a whole lot when you do it. I always
take my torque wrench with me to the tire shop so I can do the final
tighening. They know me now and understand.sêÓghtening the lug bolts can warp the wheels slightly, but the
biggest problem is being stuck somewhere with a flat that you can't
change.

Jim