Re: [T3] Type 1 Heat Exchangers on a Type 3

You'd have sheet-metal matching problems, you'd have to get rid of the
lower engine tin, it won't match, probably bad news for engine
cooling.  Then the top tin will be loose at the edges and vibrate.
It's all a matched set.  I think the air outlet is a different size on
the bug boxes, too, so you'd have to find a way to hook that up.  If
you need a cheap temporary alternative, how about some J-tubes?  No
heat, but spring is coming on and it would give you some time to get
the old ones fixed or some other ones found.  What's wrong with the
old ones?  Outer shell holes can be welded or brazed up and there's
repair kits to fix the spots where the muffler clamps crimp down.  Not
much else goes wrong that I've seen unless it gets run over by a tank.