Re: [T3] Sound proofing material

On 1—{G=, at 14:18, Douglas_Brashear@amsinc.com wrote:

> After pulling up the carpet and tar boards in my 73 fasty project and
> sanding/derusting/painting the floorpans I found some dense carpet padding
> to use as insulation.  It's the multi-colored spongy stuff that's pressed
> into a sheet and backed with some sort of mesh/plastic coating...I cut it
> to match the floorpan contour and so far it has worked well.  A side
> benefit is that it absorbs water well,

It's not clear that this is a benefit. It works as long as you remove
it and dry it out every time it gets wet, but in the long run you
will probably let it go sometime and it will hold the water in there
longer, thus promoting rust. In general it is a bad idea to add
anything here that absorbs water.

Of course the water leak should be fixed, but in the meantime, just
use a sponge to get the water out. Then leave the sponge somewhere
else, not in the car.

Note the none of the original materials were water absorbent.

Jim