[T3] Oil Cooler Washers?

It's me again, with another question, here she goes

Ok, in John Muir's book, under the rebuilding engine section (where i
am unfortunately again, don't ask why, it's a whole other story i'll
tell later, i feel stupid) it says that three washers should go
between the oil cooler and the case on the two bolts/one stud
combination, so that the seals don't over-compress.  Whereas my local
VW mechanic says that he's never heard of that, and told me not to do
it because he's never done it before.  Therefore, a few months back
when i fixed my leaking oil cooler, i didn't but the washers between
the oil cooler and the case mating surface.

Are those washers necessary?  The reason i ask is because during this
rebuild, when i removed the oil cooler, it was bone dry.  I don't know
if they typically drain after sitting a few days (the time it sat
before i dismantled the engine) or if perhaps oil never reached the
oil cooler because the seals "squished" too much thus blocking the
flow of the oil into the cooler.  Oh yeah, if it matters, i am using
the 10mm to 10mm seals.

This time, i want to build the engine right so i don't have to take it
apart again in a few monthsÊViF help a fellow VW enthusiast

and stay tuned for the reason why i had to take the engine apart again
in the first place, you'll love it, i don't have time to write it now

Jacob Schroeder
'72 Volkswagen