[T3] Kelley Park...Stranded

Well, we made it back from Kelley Park...a day later than we had planned, but
at least we made it back.  The show, despite the rain, was well worth the 6
hour drive to San Jose from L.A.  The grounds where the show is held must
just be absolutely beautiful when they're not all mucky from the rain.  It
was nice to get out of the SoCal show circuit and see different VW's for
once.  Same goes for the swap meet..et¶Khere were quite a few Pomona
regulars, there was a ton of stuff that we haven't already pawed through 18
times before.  We met Robert and saw his gorgeos all original 69 Fastback
(keep the fuel injection)   : )  and wandered around with him for a while.
We left around 1:30 PM to get a head start on the long drive home.
Our adventure really began on the drive home.  It rained all the way from San
Jose down the 5 freeway to the grapevine (mountains just north of L.A. area)
The signs said "snow on summit, no oversize loads"  We, being in a GTi,
figured it was no problem, we'd just go it slow.  We didn't even make it to
the summit before CHP closed the freeway.  We were all hearded off one exit
and had no idea what to do.  It was SNOWING, not just a little bit either.
We asked a CHP officer if we could get back on the freeway anywhere, and he
directed us to a frontage road which we could take a few miles to the next
entrance.  We made it maybe 1/4 mile down the frontage road before we were
sliding backward toward a ditch while gunning the motor at 5000 rpm.  We
decided to turn around.  But, by that time, all the rooms in the only motel
were taken....so we ended up sleeping on the floor next to the Pepsi machine.
 We did get some cool pictures of the GTi with about 8 inches of snow on top
of it though.  They plowed the roads this morning about 9:00 and we headed
back home.
Enough rambling...Kelley park was cool, we definately recommend it, but avoid
the 5 freeway if there is ANY mention of snow.  : )

Katie and Matt