RE: [T3] Type 4 in a Type 3

I'd say your cousin is correct.  Even a stock T4 2.0L (preferably the
Euro-spec one as it had more compression, thus more hp) will out perform a
stock T3 1600cc (both models being FI, of course).  Nice thing about the T4
is that it can contain more cc's than a T3 (it can be bored out more)
allowing for a 3.0L or more.  I've personally seen a 914 with a 3.0L --
naturally, it had a roll cage and 5-point harness and wide tires and lexan
'glass' and...

   Toby "2800cc...aaahuuuugg <drool>" Erkson
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, R.I.P., ORPCA member
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.pobox.com/~toby_erkson/