Re: [T3] Generator DEAD?

On 6 Apr 99, at 22:10, Keith Park wrote:

> I LOVE freinds who have all kinds of suggestions and absolutely NO CLUE as
> to whats going on!!

Absolutely right!

> If you were fuel injected and lifted the positive battery lead with the
> engine running POOF! there goes your control unit!

Yes, but on his car all he has to lose is his radio, brake warning
light, seat belt warning light, flasher relay, clock....;-)

> if you ground the DF lead on the generator it makes the generator give
> maximum output, about 14.4 volts or so with a good battery.

Actually, at speed it can go much higher (measured at the Generator),
so you need to be careful. Also, I hesitate to recommend this to
novices, because you MUST disconnect the DF wire to the VR first or
you will destroy the VR. In most cases that's little loss, however,
because it was the VR that was at fault.

thres several
> things taht can cause a generator to go bad, and you should get 35K out of
> a good one but if its remaned then your at the mercy of the technician
> that did it.

I get MUCH more than that out of a generator. Occasional new brushes
and sometimes new bearings, most often they just need the dirt
brushed out of them to stop that purely mechanical whine that the
dirt makes as it rubs on the armature. I find that the Genuine Bosch
rebuilds are done very well.

Jim