Re: Re: [T3] bad news (sort of) Broke motor..-- not anymore !!!

Okay y'all here's the scoop,

I really didn't want to build another motor -- heck I've kinda grown attached
to this one ( for one summer ;) So, the SO and I yanked the motor up to the
engine stand and I went about seeing what kinda of damage was done. First
thing -- drop the sump and see what fell downn in there. Good news, nothing
in the sump ( well... some oil but you know what I mean ). I talked to a
local "reknowned" engine builder ( who just happens to building the gearbox
for my bug so it was a good excuse to call him -- "hey, hows that trans
coming and.. oh yeah I've got another problem..." ) and je came to the
conlusion that since the motor never made oil pressure that nothing would
have been sucked into the galleys. The pump that I pulled off had junk in it
( the spring and a few shavings ) but nothing major. It had just broken the
tang off the oil pump gear that keys into the cam and I found those pieces
sitting on the face of the cam.
Well, some of you may shudder but....... I went Sat. and got a new oil pump (
and a strainer¥%ä́ pickup tube in the sump -- duh !! ) and set about
tapping it for the plug etc. By Sat. eve the motor was back on the ground and
tinware was being attached. Sun. the SO and I loaded it back into the car and
by 6pm Sun. night.......oil pressure was had, coil wire on, plugs back in and
she runs again !! no knocking or other bad noises, my fan is scraping my fan
shroud so I have to make an adjustment there but otherwise-- she's back on
the road.
lessons learned:
*put a strainer on your pickup tube -- I had to modify my new strainer to
make it fit ( it seemed the pickup tube was of a slightly larger dia.
*always follow proper oil pump priming procedures in the spring -- make that
green light go out !!
*when you build a motor -- do it all at once -- be comitted and if you have
to leave it -- shrink wrap that mother so nothing can get into it.

LAYTER !!!!!!
Dan
my65notch@aol.com
http://users.aol.com/my65notch/index.htm