Re: [T3] So. Cal Imports Expericence?

If theres any play at all betwen the dowels and the holes and your running
a high HP engine the flywheel will come loose. jaming everythin togeather
is asking for disaster.  Gene Berg warns about this and getting cranks from
anyone else your really taking a risk on all kids of possible problems.  If
you dont have his manuels get them, there a good read and full of valuable
info!

Keith

----------
> From: whizby <whizby@pdq.net>
> To: type!!! <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Subject: Re: [T3] So. Cal Imports Expericence?
> Date: Wednesday, March 31, 1999 8:34 PM
>
> well OK,  i ordered a counter-weighted crank from them. i wanted four
dowel
> so i could drill it out to eight dowel with my flywheel. it only comes
from
> them in 8 dowel, but they said, " not to worry, the holes will match any
SPG
> pattern, just get your flywheel drilled out to match"  my machinist had
> two(2) spg pattern jigs, neither of which matched the crank, so i called
> back and ordered an 8 doweled flywheel, which they rushed right out to
me,
> assuring me that it was drilled on the exact same pattern as my crank.
> it didn't fit, but it was really close. so i chamfered the holes a little
> and cranked the hell out of the gland nut and forced the two together.
> on the plus side: they did return my core charge, even though i waited
two
> and a half months( they say you have to do it within thirty days) to mail
my
> stuff back.
>
> sorry for the ramble, but you did ask
> Brandon