[T3] How to keep motor running w/out gas tank

In preparation for replacing the clip on the squareback, we're going to have
to remove the gas tank.  We have no idea how long it will be out of the car,
but we don't want the motor to sit idle for too long.  If worse comes to worse
and the gas tank is out of the car for an extended period of time, is there
some way we can keep the motor in "running condition" through some sort of
auxillary tank?  Is it as simple as sticking the fuel lines into a big gas can
and letting the fuel pump do its thing?  Thanks in advance!!

Matt and Katie