RE: [T3] newbie questions (many!)

Ah, The Ultimate Question...which type of air-cooled VW is best?

I have, over the past 40 years, owned myriad numbers of Type 1, Type
II, Type 3, and, yes, even Type IV.  As if they were lovely ladies, I
have loved 'em all.

To me the difference is more in functionality than in matters of
maintenance, expense, etc.  My high-top camper van (Type II) is for
long, slow, delicious camping trips.  My Type IV was (it is now
departed, sniff, sniff) for comfortable high speed Interstate
cruising.  My beetles and Karmann Ghias were for darting in and out
of traffic and parking in spaces passed up by Buicks.

Ah, but my beloved Type III Squareback .... it does it all!  In my
Sqbk I can cruise comfortably at Interstate speeds, carry cargo, dart
thru traffic, and, yes, even sleep in the back.  The Squareback
brings into one vehicle the best features of all the other VW types.

A waitress recently asked me if I drive my "little white car"
everywhere.  I said "sure....it's only 27 years old, why not?"  But,
she said, it's an antique.  Yes, I replied, so is my wife, and I sure
don't plan to trade her in anytime soon.

I think the young waitress couldn't comprehend why I find nothing
extraordinary about using a 27-year-old car for 95% of my automotive
needs.  I, on the other hand, can't think of a reason why not, given
that my Squareback is so reliable, comfortable, maintainable,
economical,  and...fun!

Tell me how many 27-year-old Fords, Chevys and Pontiacs you see
running around town.

Any air-cooled VW will give a devoted, dedicated, involved owner
years of remarkable service.  The Type III gives this plus the
satisfaction of having a multi-purpose vehicle that is uncommon
enough to be unique,  yet mainstream enough to be viable for us
common folks.

If you detect any bias in my remarks, I beg your indulgence.

Go straight for the Type III.....

Phil
dillard@suu.edu