[T3] newbie questions (many!)

Hello, everyone.  I'm somewhat new to the list (I've been following it
for a week or so) and have some (OK, many!) questions.  But I guess I
should introduce myself first.  My name is Mark.  I'm 26 years old,
living near Tampa, Florida, and have recently become infatuated with
VWs.  I have a Volvo right now, but would really like to sell it so that
I can get a Type III.  I'm a bit partial to Notchbacks I think, but am
interested in all of the air-cooled variety.  Also I'm probably not
going to be buying any time soon as I'd really like to educate myself a
bit more so when the right car comes along I'll know.
I've been searching the archives of the mailing list, checking out more
than a few websites and checking out some books from my local library,
but I still have some lingering questions.  Please excuse the lack of
detail in my questions, but my level of knowledge is 1st grade at this
point (perhaps even kindergarten!).  OK, here goes:

1. Given that the Notchbacks were not officially released in the U.S.,
are they much harder to come by and thus more expensive?
2. What are some reference materials you would suggest looking at before
buying a Type III?
3. Can you give me some information on the compatibility of Type III and
Type I engine parts?  What about the interior parts?
4. Are Type IIIās considerably more expensive to maintain than Type Iās
and more problematic?
5. Should I buy a Type I first and later graduate to a Type III after I
have some more repair knowledge (my knowledge at present extends to
changing oil, sparkplugs, tires, etc.)?
6. Are there any years that you would recommend buying (or avoiding)?
7. What are the average U.S. street prices for Notchbacks, Squarebacks
and Fastbacks in very good condition?  I'm looking for a dependable
daily driver with very little or no rust (needing very little or no body
work) that is ready for a here-and-there, somewhat slow restoration.
8.  When searching the mailing-list archives, is there a way to search
using multiple terms (i.e. search for "notchback engine" or search for
"fastback wheel")?  So far I've only been able to do searches with one
term (i.e. search for "notchback" or search for "fastback")?
9.  Are there any other comments (pleasant ones!) you'd like to make
that might help a novice like myself?

Thank you for having me and thank you to whoever replies.  I'm sure this
list and your comments will be more than a little helpful in my search
for the right vehicle.

Take care,

Mark Michel