Re: [T3] Rims rubbing

On 28 Oct 98, at 16:32, swaffordvw@juno.com wrote:

> I have a simple problem with my rims but dont want to do any fileing on
> anything. But i have stock 1971 5 spoke aluminum factory rims now on my 73
> SB and when I go about a turn hard the spokes rub on my caliper. And i had
> this problem on my other one so i filed down the caliper but i dont want
> to do this. I was wondering if shimming the caliper from the bolt on side
> may help or if anyone had suggestions about this problem.

1)  There is no such thing as "stock" aluminum rims.  These are all
aftermarket, although some of them might have come from a VW dealer
or with a VW center cover.

2)  If they both rub on hard corners (different directions) then this
is probably just the deflection under load of the spindle.  If only
one does it, then I would be concerned about the possibility that you
have one spindle that is cracked part way through.  Is this a new
development or has it always done this?

3)  I would not recommend that you shim the caliper, but it should be
possible to make a thin wheel shim from a piece of alum sheet.  1/16"
should be enough; if it is not, then I would really be worried about
the health of the spindle.

4) I think you are wise not to grind off any of the caliper.

Jim