[T3] Carbs: Too lean or too rich?

72 Squareback, 1600 cc, Manual Transmission, Dual carburetors - Weber ICT 34
Vac/Mech distributor, timed to 3.5 BTDC at idle. Running beautifully,
relative to what I know.

Well, after a long summer of learning, I finally synchronized my
carburetors yesterday, but I still have no idea where would be the best
place to set my mixture screws so that they dont run too rich (which has
been my problem) or too lean (which can blow a hole in cyl. 3)

I thought that I'd get something I could be satisfied with once I actually
synced the carbs, but all that happened was I realized that the mixture
screw and the speed screw operate relative to each other. Sure, you can
have the mixture screw damn near shut all the way if the speed screw is
pushing the carb lever beyond belief.
In an attemt to find a rational position, I finally rested the case with
the idle mixture screws out about 2 - 5/8 turns.
Stupid me. I should have checked their position before I even started. That
way I would have known what a too rich position was.

Anyway, I know the sparks will indicate over-richness with black carbon on
them. But I've been going through spark plugs like peanuts, restarting with
clean ones every time I check them. IS THERE A RELIABLE WAY TO CLEAN SPARK
PLUGS OR SHOULD I JUST ORDER 100 UNTIL I FIGURE IT OUT?

QUESTION 2: (And I know youhave the answer to this Keith, but if anyone
with Weber 34 ICTs can contribute, please do) What gas mileage would
indicate proper mixture?

Question 3: People with Weber 34 ICTs that are riunning neither too rich or
too lean: What is the position of your idle air screw relative to closed?
What idle do you run at?

I'm presenmtly running at 800 rpms at idle, my dwell angle is a lovely 50,
and my timing is right on the money. (Thank you Jim Adney)

I have to get my odometer fixed so I can watch my mileage, now. I just
don't want an oil pump full of gas, or a blown cylinder, Its not too much
to ask.

-Mike