Re: [T3] oil change conundrum

Kevin:

  Yes, there is a gasket that goes under the large round plate
  and copper washers that go under each of the bolts that hold
  this plate in place, plus one for the drainplug (pre 71's).

  Any VW FLAPS should have this as a kit.  I think I paid $3.50
  and had enough gaskets and washers for 3 oil changes!  Cut out
  cereal boxes?  Hmmm, I think it would leak.  In fact when I got
  my Squareback, the previous owner used silicon bathtub caulk to
  seal the plate and bolts!  It leaked like all heck.  When I
  used the proper gaskets and copper washers all leakage stopped.

  As far as oil goes, the VW manual states that a single weight
  oil be used.  SAE 30W is most recommended.  Except if you are
  in a very cold climate, then 20W will do. Here is the info
  directly from the Owners Manual for a 1970 Square.

  Temp Range:                0F-110F    -15F-70F  40F--20F

  Recommended Oil Weight:       30W       20W       10W

  And if you live in the Artic where your average temperature
  is below -13 F then use 5W.

  Hope this helps.

  Allen
  70' Squareback