Re: [T3] clock

Both the transistorised ones I couldn't fix had different faults.
One had scratched the very fine coils with its pendulum, so one was
open circuit, and the other clock had a corroded wire where it
joined at the circuit board.  The wires are very fine, and I
couldn't get it joined up, but others may.
If it is the transistor, it is still a tricky job to get another one
in there.  I think you have to drill the rivetted brass stands the
board fixes on (again, from memory, but I tried it once, without
success!) and then you have to fix it back on somehow.

The design is clever, but a bit frail.  The single transistor holds
electromagnet 1 on, attracting the pendulum.  This movement
generates back emf in e/m 2 which switches off the transistor, so
the pendulum swings back, then the process repeats.

Of course, you can fix a small quartz movement (a few $$) and run it
off a battery or dropper resistor, keep better time, and still look
original.

I have found both types dated '71 with grey faces; I guess they
gradually changed over.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club
www.hallvw.clara.net/