RE: [T3] fuel line replacement

On 22 Oct 98, at 8:25, James MacNaughton wrote:

> I don't know what others might say, but for getting pesky fuel/vacuum
> lines on big nipples (no wise cracks) I've always used liquid dish
> detergent.  Not alkaline enough to really damage neoprene hose, but still
> quite slick.  It's helped me in the past without incident.

There are many ways to force an undersize hose on, but the problem
with this is that if the hose is under excess stress when this
process is over, it will crack there sooner than if it is in a more
relaxed state.

There's really no point in going through all this concern about how
to best lubricate to do this, just buy a properly sized hose and slip
it on.  30 psi is nothing.  The fact that it is 15 times higher than
a carb requires has little meaning once you realize that we are still
working at 10% of the pressure rating of the hose.

Keep in mind that the rating is NOT the rating where the hose will
burst; it is the highest pressure that the manufacturer assures you
that you can safely operate continuously.  The burst pressure is
typically 2-4 times the rating.  The LOWEST pressure rated 5/16" hose
I have found is 400psi (800psi burst); smaller hoses have higher
ratings.

Jim