Re: [T3] rims/wheels

Looking through some of the different wheel manufacturer's
websites, it looks like the 4x100mm bolt pattern is the only
"metric" pattern for 4 bolt wheels.  There were a couple of 4x98
wheels and of course our 4x130mm.  There are also 4x4in,
4x4.25in, 4x4.5, and 5x100mm among others. I would guess that
most of the four bolt Japanese cars (smaller hondas, toyotas,
etc) would be the 4x100mm and I know that the Ford Escort, and
even the Contour are 4x100mm 4 bolt wheels.  I would also suspect
that most of the GM and Chrysler smaller cars use the 4x100mm
pattern since all of the Big Three have gone metric for their
specifications.

Most of the wheels I looked at were available in the 4x100mm
pattern.  Some even had 43mm offsets, but were 7 inches
wide.(Sorry for the mixed units)  I plan to do a little study
when it warms up around here (maybe May!  :^)  )to see just what
will fit under the fenders.  I will keep everyone posted.

I do realize that redrilling the drums/hubs can weaken them.
That is part of the reasoning for going to the 4 bolt pattern
rather than a 5 bolt.  The new holes can be equal spaced between
the old holes, leaving the most parent material available and
undisturbed.  My cursory look at the T3 hubs/drums showed me that
there is not a lot of thinning of the castings around the center
of the hub (VW's famous conservative design, maybe)

Sorry for rambling on.....

John Jaranson
71 FI Auto Fasty (New wheels in her future....)