[T3] Windshield wiper direction

Some of you may have seen this on RAMVa Blah, Blah, Blah

The other night we were talking to the owner of a 70 Fastback and
comparing it to our 71 Notchback.  One thing I noticed was that the
windshield wipers pointed in different directions.  The ones in the
Notch (Canadian car) pointed towards the passenger side of the car, but
the ones on the Fastback (US car) pointed to the driver's side.  I
looked at a few of the other VW's there (all early Bugs) and noticed
that the direction of the wipers varied.  One person suggested that the
wiperes were supposed to point towards the driver and that our car may
have once been a RHD drive car.  He also said that back in the 70's,
Canadians drove on the oposite side of the road as americans.  I dont
think that's true.  Could you imagine the interesting setup at the
border trying to switch sides of the road and remembering to stay on
that side?........anyways, our car wasnt once a RHD car (at least I dont
think it was) so does anyone know if there's any rhyme or reason to the
direction the wipers point?

Matt
71 Notch