Re: [T3] fuel line replacement

On 20 Oct 98, at 15:38, Nico teWinkel wrote:

> Ok, so 5/16" is roughly 7.9 mm, which is slightly larger than the metric
> 7mm, and 1/4" is 6.4 mm, which is slightly smaller (thus making it harder
> to get on the pipes). I would have thought that the larger diameter
> (5/16") would be more prone to leakage, or do the clamps hold it enough.

5/16" = 7.94mm, I call it 8.  If you try some of this size on the FI
nipples you will agree that it is a perfect fit.  I have NEVER had
any problem with sealing this hose at a connection, unless the metal
part was damaged.  In fact, one common mistake that people make is to
overtighten the hose clamps; just make them snug, don't damage the
hose.

> It would probably be a lot easier to get these hoses on all the pipes. I
> used the 1/4" line because I figured it would be less likely to leak, and
> the fuel filter I got came with pieces of 1/4" hose (have no idea why -
> didn't use them).

I think 1/4" is just a common size for American fuel lines.

> I sure could have used that tidbit of knowledge about
> using brake fluid, cause I think that would make it trivial to push the
> hoses on.

I should have commented on this.  I wouldn't use brake fluid here.
It does not mix with gas, and it doesn't really burn correctly.  If
you need to lubricate gas line, just use some oil.  This is okay
since any rubber that is okay with gasoline will be okay with oil.
If you use 5/16 or 8mm line, however, the lubrication will be
unnecessary.

Jim