Re: [T3] fuel line replacement

On 20 Oct 98, at 21:14, Stan Schaefer wrote:

> That 1/4" hose  will split when you overstress it, like going
> over a too-large hose barb.

Right, and 7mm is larger than 1/4", but still a bit small for the
fittings.

>  I've never done it, but you should be able to
> use low-pressure stuff in a pinch before the pump on an FI car, there's no
> pressure there.  After the pump, you're risking a geyser.

If you find the manufacturer's data, you will see that no one makes a
5/16" hose rated for less than 400 psi.  Of course there is poor
quality stuff out there, but any good quality 5/16" hose will work
fine for our measily 30 psi.  Just make sure that you're using
something that actually has some fabric reinforcing in it (as opposed
to rubber "tubing" which is just rubber and will not take the
pressure.)  You should also be careful follow the manufacturer's
minimum bend radius recommendation, no sharp corners.

I use a Airequipe hose which is 5/16" and lasts well.

> The small stuff will also constrict
> your fuel flow, might screw up things with your mixture.

Possible, but not likely.  Certainly not at all likely in a stock
engine.  The amount of fuel that is actually needed is very small
compared to what the system is prepared to circulate.  Still, a
little less constriction can't hurt.

Jim