Re: [T3] KEITH PARK IS THE BEST!!!!!!

It really isn't that hard to do body work, you just have to have a lot
of patience and get some books from the library.  I'm no master and I
tend to use more filler than a pro would because I can't ding dents up
flush and even, but I can get an acceptable(at least to me) job done.
The tools I use are from the cheapy Chinese body and fender set that I
got for $15 and worked over(polished, mostly).  I can't see spending
$100 on a pro's dinging hammer or $50 on a dolly block at my current
level of skill. You can certainly get good results from about $50
worth of tools and a lot of time.   A good acetylene torch outfit will
help, but it's not a must for starting out. You've certainly got more
a stake in the final job than some body shop jockey and more of an
idea what you want.  If it doesn't turn out the way you like, chalk it
up to experience and start again after figuring out where it went
wrong.  About the only way to learn how is on an actual project.  My
choices were to learn how to do it myself or do without(low funds for
that stuff).

I know what you mean about surprises, I stripped the paint off the
left front fender that the headlight trim ring had always fit oddly on
and found out why.  The bucket had gotten pushed back in at some time
and whoever "fixed" it had just built the thing up with body filler
and slapped some paint on.  I had no means at the time to get that
fixed, now that I have a torch available, I'm going to try getting it
corrected.  At the time, I ended up getting another fender off a wreck
and straightening it out.  It's now got salt rot in the seams a couple
of years afterwards, so it's back to the original.  No rust on it,
just that headlight bucket.