Re: [T3] Continuing Problems with #2

On 19 Oct 98, at 6:59, John M. Kowalski wrote:

> Thought that I had this one licked, but the problem recurred yesterday.
> The problem?  Even though there is consistent spark from the dist. cap to
> the #2 plug wire, the tach meter, when attached to the #2 plug wire
> indicates an inconsistent firing.  The engine idle falters when the tach
> meter indicates a misfire.  This only happens on #2.  Any ideas?

What do you mean by "attached to the ... plug wire"?  Is this an
actual connection, or an inductive pickup?

If if is inductive, then it depends on the actual flow of current
through the wire.  If the spark plug doesn't actually fire, then
there will be no current.  This does not mean that there is no high
voltage; it just means that the voltage is not high enough to arc
across the spark plug gap.  It also means that the spark is not going
to ground by any other path out past the inductive pickup, because
the pickup wouldn't care how the current manages to flow.

This rules out a fouled plug and a tracked SP insulator.

So, check for #2 SP gap too large, or SP electrodes worn round so
they won't fire.

Jim