Re: [T3] Window Rubber

The seal profiles are basically the same from what I remember (installed
new window seals in my old superbeetle about 5 years ago, and new cal look
seals in my square a couple months ago).  There may be a difference,
though, because I remember the superbeetle windshield sunk into the
windsheidl frame more...my dad and I thought the square's windsheild should
be the same way, and ended up cracking the window since it was all the way
in :-(  Anyway, I'm tempted to say that trying to cut and splice American
style seals that accept the C-channel aluminum trim would be a hassle, and
maybe impossible.  Remember that the original seals were cast in molds, not
extruded and glued at the ends.  If you cut and splice an American style
seal the bends will be at the wrong places, and I'm pretty sure these are
molded into the seal.

BUT, you could probably do it rather easily with the later style American
seals (the ones that accepted the flexible aluminum/plastic trim strip)...I
know the seals in my 73 fastback use this type of seal anyway...you could
start with a superbeetle windshield seal and try that... on the rear
hatch...or maybe a standard beetle windshield seal (the ideal thing here
would be for someone to head to a junkyard that has type Is and IIIs and
measure the curcumference around the windows using one of those rolling
rulers carpenters use).  As for how to splice the ends, I'm not
sure...maybe contact cement?  Vulcanization?

-Doug
69 auto FI square (for sale)
73 FI fasty
98 NB