Re: [T3] FI Cold Start Problems

Sounds like maybe the relief valve on the pump is getting tired.  This
is a little plunger on the pump head with a rubber tip that plugs the
outlet when the pump isn't running, thus keeping pressure up in the
loop.  You can check this with a pressure gauge at the left T at the
injectors.  Bentley has some spec for that, supposed to keep like 15
lbs after 20 minutes or some such, don't remember exactly.  I've had
these relief valve tips get hard and break off, thus converting the
pump into junk.  It won't pump gas anywhere but back into the tank,
then.  Crimped into the body and not replaceable.

My procedure for starting after sitting for awhile(more than a couple
of days) is to bump the ignition on a few times until the pump builds
up pressure and I can hear the regulator singing, pump the
accellerator a couple of times to trip the injectors and get some gas
at the valves, then go for the start.  Saves wear and tear on the
starter anyway.  Not sure if a '69 has the throttle position switch
that has the toothed segment that does the injector pulsing on
acceleration, mine's a '71 and does.

A fuel filter probably won't help this, but might solve some other
problems.  If you haven't checked all your fuel line and replaced it,
you might have some cracks bleeding gas somewhere, it's hard to see
with the factory cloth-covered stuff.  You could also have an injector
that's leaking, you can see that by grounding the pump at the
connector in the back where Bentley says, pull the injectors and look
at the injector tips as it runs.  Should be no drips at all.  It will
also foul the corresponding plug.