RE: [T3] FI on a bigger block?

Ok, well I wasn't going to get involved with this conversation since
it's been so long ago, but I will.

My last VW, before the ones I picked up this year, 16 years ago was a
'69 Fastback with a 2.0L T4 engine in it. I bought it that way, but I
had it long enough to become quite familiar with it. All I can say is
if you have the $$$'s to do the conversion - Go For It!  That car was
awesome!  The T4 engine will bolt up to the T3 transaxle. The only
fabrication I could see was making the transverse rear mount hook up
to the T4 engine. That shouldn't be too hard as the mount is already
there for the T3 engine.

The setup was bulletproof. I owned/drove it for over 3 years with no
problems what so ever, including no valve adjustments. Forget trying
to stay with the FI. Toss it and get yourself a dual weber setup and
don't look back. Yeah, it sticks up a little over the decklid, but
what I did was I had a 6" high box fabricated out of stainless steel
that fit right into the grove that the old cover went into. I then
sound proofed it slightly with spray on undercoating - worked great.
The engine noise was very quiet inside the car. I also had a single
quiet power extractor out the back and a 009 dist (I believe it was
a 009).  It would literly pull the front wheels off the ground a
couple inches - although I didn't do it too often (CV joints,
transaxle and such parts to take lightly to that kind of abuse!).

If I can find a cheap enough 914 around here - there don't seem to be
too many anymore - I plan on grabbing that engine and putting it into
my flamed fastback someday (might not be feasable with the auto, but
I'll still grab the engine and hold onto it for use at a later date!).

Well, that's it. It's an impressive setup. Just go with a 2.0, or
bigger, setup, dual weber it, and have fun!

Regards,
Tom Cloud
'69 Bug
'69 Fastback!