[T3] ignition weirdness

I have two 1971 type 3's...one squareback and one notchback.  The squareback
is an original U.S. car, and the notchback is a Canadian car.  Here's the
ignition weirdness...
On the squareback, I can put the key into the ignition, start the car, and
then take the key back out of the ignition with it in the "on" position and
the car still running.
On the notchback I can't do this.  Once I start the car the key is stuck in
the ignition...I can't pull it back out.
Is this a difference between U.S. and Canadian cars?  Or is the ignition on
the squareback just worn out?  If the latter is the problem, is it something I
should be worried about?  Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on
this.

Katie
1960 kombi
1971 squareback