Re: [T3] Heating in a Type 3

On 5 Oct 98, at 17:12, Charles Moseley wrote:

> could anybody please outline the basics of the Type 3 heating
> system? I have just bought a 60 something notchback (Fritz) and have
> realised that I don't know how to keep warm in the car. I have noticed two
> turnable knobs on the dashboard which appear to direct the air onto the
> windscreen but I haven't yet worked out precisely what to do with them, or
> how to get hot air, or how to get air to come out of the foot vents under
> the doors.

If you have two black "rubber" knobs on the dash then this is a late
60s-73 type 3.  These two knobs control the admission of fresh air.
There should be a lever on each side of the brake lever: the one on
the right controls the heat (up is on), and the one on the left
controls how much is allowed to exit at the back seats (up opens the
rear heater vents, down sends it all up front.)

There should be a round knob on the kick panel just in front of each
door.  These control front footwell heating (up is on, down diverts
it all to the dashboard/windshield.)

If this doesn't describe your system, you need to pin down which year
you have.  What is your chassis number?

Jim